In solidarity with UW-Madison’s Division of Diversity, Equity and Educational Achievement, the Department of French and Italian believes that “Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW–Madison.” Our department’s faculty, staff, and graduate students constitute a multi-national community that seeks to foster diversity in all domains, and to create an inclusive and equitable environment. We value the contributions of all members of our community, the students we teach, and the people with whom we interact in other campus units. We are committed to treating every individual with respect, and we condemn discrimination based on race, ethnicity, gender, disability, religion, sexual orientation or social-economic status. The goal of the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee is to oversee activities that support those principles in our teaching, research, and outreach.
Our department endeavors to:
· Foster collective and individual reflection on the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion
· Enhance access and opportunities for underrepresented students, first generation college students, and women
· Eliminate the achievement gap between majority and underrepresented students
· Recruit, support, and retain more diverse faculty, staff, and students
· Prepare all of our students, staff and faculty to thrive personally and professionally in a diverse world.