Credentials: Job Market Candidate in Italian
- B.A., Italian Studies & International Relations, Wheaton College (MA)
- M.A., Italian Language, Literature & Cinema, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Hilary Emerson is a Ph.D. candidate in Italian language, literature, and cinema at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Her current research focuses on Neapolitan feminist and transfeminist film, specifically on the intersection of myth, performance, spectatorship, and selfhood in the avant-garde feminist filmography of Lina Mangiacapre and Le Nemesiache. Research interests include: self-reflexivity, sexuality, and sisterhood in Italian literature and film, the Italian feminist avant-garde, film theory, performance studies, ecofeminist theory, mad theory, disability theory, and aging studies.
The Performative is Political: Metamorphosis of Myth and Self in the Neapolitan Feminist Films of Lina Mangiacapre and the Nemesiache
- “Beyond the Binary: Androgyny in Lina Mangiacapre’s Neapolitan Feminist Faust.” Northeast Modern Language Association Convention: March 5-8, 2020. Boston, MA.
- “Androgyny in the Looking Glass: Reflection and Reflexivity in Lina Mangiacapre’s Feminist Faust.” Department of French & Italian Research Seminar Series. January 29, 2020. Madison, WI.
- “Painted Faces and Creative Costume in La lotta non è finita.” Graduate Association of French & Italian Students Symposium: April 6-7, 2018. Madison, WI.
- “Vocabulary in Context: Infusing Information Gap Activities with Culture.” Kaleidoscope Conference: March 8, 2018. Madison, WI.
- “Murder by Brooch: a Social and Sexual Crossroads for the Woman Outlaw.” Graduate Association of French & Italian Students Symposium: March 31-April 1, 2017. Madison, WI.
- Italian 101 (First Semester Italian) – instructor
- Italian 102 (Second Semester Italian) – instructor
- Italian 202 (Accelerated Third & Fourth Semester Italian) – instructor
- Italian 203 (Third Semester Italian) – instructor
- Italian 204 (Fourth Semester Italian) – instructor
- Italian 254 (Italian Literature in Translation: Existentialism, Fascism, Resistance) – grader
- Italian 360 (French & Italian Literature in Translation: Renaissance Online) – grader
- Italian 460 (Italian Film) – grader