How can I make French work for me? Will I be able to use my French? What careers are open to me?
In 2014, foreign language majors earned the highest starting salary of all liberal arts majors, $46,900, followed by English language and literature letters majors at $42,200.
What’s the Foreign Language Advantage? You are developing many of the skills and attributes that employers want:
- You’re a great communicator (you know how to get the point across).
- You are culturally literate (you work well with others).
- You’re a critical thinker (you know how to put all the pieces together).
- You’re a problem solver (you know how to prioritize, compromise and get the job done).
- You’re a multi-tasker (and you are even better at it than other college graduates).
Your classroom education and experience already put you in a great position for future success. Yet there are more resources out there that can help you get to where you want to be.
How many of these can you check off your “to do” list?
- Check out Letters & Science Career Initiative, your full-service career center.
- Register for Handshake, connecting students and employers.
- Make an Appointment with a Career Advisor
- Consider taking INTER-LS 210: L&S Career Development: Taking Initiative – This one-credit course helps students develop critical skills and knowledge for making future career-related decisions. Designed specifically for L&S students, or those exploring an L&S major, course discussion focuses on leveraging and articulating the value of the liberal arts and science degree. Our goal is to enforce students’ capacity to become leaders, innnovators, and entrepreneueurs in the 21st-centrury workforce. Students are encouraged to take the courese in their second-year of college.
- Learn what you can do with a French Major?
- Seek and Gain Experience (outside the classroom)
Learn What’s French in Madison
Visit the French House for lunches, Wednesday dinners, and other events
Have a coffee at Barriques on Monday nights with fellow francophiles
Find out what the ‘Table Ronde’ is!
- Career Exploration (on-line tools)
- Join Badger Bridge: This professional network is an exclusive place where UW-Madison alumni and students can come together to offer support in achieving career goals and exploring professional opportunities.